Fountain City Art Center, Inc. opened in October, 2004 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Since that time, the “FCAC” has been in continuous operation offering high quality art exhibits by area artists and classes and workshops for all ages and abilities.
Parkside Open Door Gallery, Inc. opened at the same time as an art market for up to 35 artists and crafts people to display and sale artwork. The “PODG” subleases space from FCAC for $500 a quarter.
LeGrand Music Studio opened in the Fountain City Art Center in 2010 and subleases space for 10% of the total music lesson tuition per month. The studio offers lessons in guitar, piano, voice, violin, mandolin, dulcimer, banjo, French horn, clarinet, and music theory. Community Choir practices on Tuesdays. LeGrand Music Studio also offers concerts featuring internationally renowned musicians, as well as concerts and recitals performed by its students and instructors.
A Few of FCAC’s Accomplishments from 2004-2017:
- 1,012 Art Exhibits free to the public, serving over 3,700 artists
- 55 Knox County Students art exhibits, displaying artwork by over 4,000 youth
- At least two judged shows a year open to all area artists, both 2-D and 3-D, with cash awards
- 135 art classes and 15 workshops per year, serving over 900 students
- 12 years of Summer Art Camp Scholarships for FCAC classes specifically for underserved and disadvantaged youth, providing free art classes for 550 students
- Neighborhood Achievement Award from the Metropolitan Planning Commission
- Friend of TAEA Award from the Tennessee Art Education Association
- Free Lectures and Demonstrations by distinguished artists, professors, and historians such as Robert Tino, Dr. Jan Simek, Dr. Jim Tumblin, and Jack Neely.
- Free Public Service Series through Covenant Health: Lunch ‘n learn health topics, flu shots, Golden Passport Seniors Art Exhibits
- Classes for physically handicapped and mentally challenged youth and adults in cooperation with ETTAC and Sunshine Industries.
- Public Service Meeting Place for other nonprofit organizations: Foothills Craft Guild, Fountain City Art Guild, Art Group 21, choir practice, play practice, exercise classes for seniors
- 10 Years of Art-a-palooza in the Park, fall festival celebrating art, music, and food